History of Kottayam District Police
Kottayam district has acquired its name from "Kottayam" town which is the headquarters of the district. It is believed that the name Kottayam is derived from the combination of Malayalam words kotta (fort) and akam(inside), and can be translated as "the interior of the fort". The city is an important trading centre for spices and commercial crops, especially rubber. Kottayam is situated in the basin of the Meenachil River and in the basin of the Vembanad backwaters, which are formed from several streams originating from Western Ghats in Idukki district. They flow through Kottayam district and joins Vembanad lake. According to the division of places in Kerala based on altitudes, Kottayam is classified as being a midland area. Kottayam is bordered by Pathanamthitta district on the south, Alappuzha district on the west, Ernakulam district on the north and Idukki district on the east.
The year 1956, during which the district was formed, the first District Superintendent of Police(now termed as District Police Chief) was Sri.P.A. Muhammed IPS for the period from 01-11-1956 to 01-07-1957.Followed by Sri.P.A.Muhammed IPS, 53 District Police Chiefs controlled Kottayam District and now the District is governed by Sri. Hari Sankar IPS.
Kottayam District Police is entrusted with the responsibility of maintaining law & order in the entire precincts of the district, prevention and detection of crime, traffic management and various citizen centric services for the people of Kottayam District area comprising Kottayam, Changanaherry, Kanjirappally, Pala and Vaikom subdivisions.Under these subdivisions there are 14 Circle offices and 33 police stations including one vanitha police station.